These puff pastry pizza twists inspired by Tasty will make you shout. Last year Buzzfeed’s Tasty (one of the inspirations of this website) came out with another amazing video called “Pizza Puff Pastry Twists“. As huge fans of the Big Green Egg (and pizza in a larger sense) we felt compelled to run with this delicious idea to see how these twists might fare atop a pizza stone in the hardwood lump charcoal environment of our favorite kamado style grill.
We are thrilled to report this particular recipe is easy, straight forward and will please the palate of any large crowd. ‘Grip, tear, rip & dip’ is a phrase we would like to think we made up as we completely devoured this dish straight off of the pizza peel. No dishes needed for this one. Come to think of it I am quite certain we didn’t require the services of any napkins or paper towels either. It was all just gone… like magic. If you’re looking for a crowd pleaser with little-to-no clean up then look no further than puff pastry pizza twists on the Big Green Egg.
We did make it our own as we slimmed the original recipe down to a single sheet of puff pastry – however we stayed true to all the gooey goodness of the original as we layered in the cheese and pizza sauce. There is still plenty of room for improvement as we consider all of the many toppings that could send this dish to the next level. Pepperoni & mushrooms seem like an easy start… pulled pork and BBQ sauce sounds amazing… Let us know if you take this recipe on and spear head it to the next level – We would love to see it.
Here’s what we did:
- 1 sheet of puff pasty – thawed
- 3 cups of pizza sauce
- 2 handfuls of shredded mozzarella cheese
Prepare the Egg
- Set the Egg for indirect cooking with a platesetter legs up.
- Place the cooking grid on top of the legs of the platesetter.
- Place a pizza stone on the grid.
- Bring the temperature up to 400 degrees.
- Add a few hickory chunks for smoke.
- Roll the puff pastry out on a well floured space until you are able to cut two 12 inch circles. Use a large plate as a template when cutting.
- Working with one of the pastry circles: spread the pizza sauce out being very careful not to go to close to the edge. The sauce will pinch out easily if too close to the edge and suddenly there’s a large mess to clean up.
- Sprinkle the cheese liberally all over the sauce.
- Bring the remaining circle of puff pastry back and lay it directly on top of the first puff pastry sheet such that the sauce and cheese are layered directly inside.
- Using your fingers: pinch the edges of the puff pastry all the way around the circle to seal the sauce and cheese inside.
- Gently place a 2-3 inch diameter glass or ramekin in the center of the puff pastry being sure not to create a seal with any pressure. This will be used to ‘mark’ the center of the pizza twists.
- Using a sharp knife (perhaps floured a bit) cut slices into the two layers of the puff pasty starting at the glass/ramekin and going all the way to the edge.
- Once all of the slices have been cut grab each individual slice one at a time and twist by rotating 360° followed by pinching back down into place.
- Once all of the slices have been rotated then slide the entire project onto a pizza peel and place on the BGE.
Let it Cook on the BGE
- Allow to cook for 40 minutes over the 400 degree grill.
- Be sure to monitor the bottom of the twists to ensure they don’t burn. Pull at the first sign of charred black crust.
- Pizza Sauce for dipping
- Parmesan Cheese
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Garlic Salt